Well maintained homes that are clean and tidy sell more quickly and command a higher purchase price.
Make sure your home is at its best during a showing
- Think of your home as a “model home” during the time it will be shown. Consider what will appeal most to buyers.
- De-personalize: remove religious symbols & family photos
- De-clutter: put away extra books and toys, store items you will not need until after your move. Having a few boxes in the basement or garage is much more favorable than exposing future buyers to clutter
- Paint walls that are showing wear or scuffs; remove wallpaper
- Clean or replace carpet if dirty or worn
- Make repairs to any areas of the home that are damaged or in a state of disrepair
- Straighten up your cupboards and closets
- Make sure exterior is clean and in good condition
- Trim shrubs, cut the grass, rake leaves and shovel snow from walks and driveway as necessary
- Remember, “if it bother’s you, it will bother potential buyers”